19 de dezembro de 2012

Scam email from Rachael Cox (and others)

Hi everyone. I'm posting about something that happened to me today and I think you all should know about. Maybe this way you won't be victyms of a very well known fraude that has been going around for a while, now, as it seems.

Today I opened my email and had a message from my Etsy account. It was from a woman called Rachel Cox and the e-mail was rachaelcox685@yahoo.com
In the message she said the following:

"Hello Seller
is this item still ready for the immediate purchase, before i proceed with the payment i will Like to ask about the item...
1) What is the present condition of the item?
2) Do you accept PAYPAL as your mode of payment?
3) what is the final asking price?
kindly get back to me with your reply to my private email :

( rachaelcox685@yahoo.com)

hope to read from you soon.

please reply back to : ( rachaelcox685@yahoo.com )

Best Regards."


I answered her through my email account, as she asked, and checked her profile on Etsy - it was empty, no activity. I thought she might be someone who doesn't like to add info online or maybe someone who add just joined Etsy.

Shortly after, she answered me back as follows:

"Thanks for the respond,i am an oceanographer and am currently on the sea at the moment, i am buying the item as a gift for my sister,i want to make it a surprise gift for her,she won't know anything about the gift until they get delivered to her, so i want you to reassure me that the item is in good condition as you have described.i can only pay through PayPal.So please kindly get back to me immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the Item up immediately after payment.Regards."
 This time I got suspicious. First because of her poor english, secondly because of her really strange story (it didn't add up) and the mentioning of a "pick up agent" that I wasn't so sure I would agree with. I think that you musn't change a winning team and my shipping service is pretty good for everyone involved. So my insight told me to google her up and I did. I found a myriad of posts like this one, that helped me see that I was being approached by someone involved in a very well known scam on Etsy. I'm thankfull to my intuition and to those people who wrote and commeted these posts. 

This is why I wanted to create even one more - this way, if you have the same insight, I might be able to help you understand what's going on. 

It seems that whoever approaches us, underlines the PayPal payment and sends a fake confirmation page, as if they completed the purchase. Another possibility is - they say PayPal isn't accepting their payment and they offer the wire transfer option - don't use wire transfers to do business transactions.

Their goal is to overpay with fraudulent money and ask you to send the difference. Your money will be good and they will be untraceable once they receive it.

Remember not to receive any purchases outside of Etsy or PayPal - it can be one of these schemes that create fake PayPal pages. If they use a stollen credit card, they will ask you, eventually to change the address to a new one (because they don't have access to the real address of the credit cards they're using). Don't use wire transfers to do business transactions.

Also, do not accept overpayments, do not accept money orders, only agree to ship to the billing address of a credit card and have them confirm that billing address. 

I hope I've been helpful. 
Fell free to share your experience with these scams on the comments section, if you'd like. It will help others.

 

Sem comentários: